Monday, December 17, 2012

Dear Teacher: I'm sorry for being a beauty junkie

I never struggle with college and I'm that rare breed of student that highly enjoys giving out a presentation in front of the class: I practice beforehand, I get giddy and full of adrenaline because I enjoy it so much. And shouldn't everybody?
So, when I got a "B" this semester I totally flipped. I looked for my professor immediately because I desperately needed to know why after being an enthusiastic presenter, turning in all my assignments and excelling in my last portfolio I got such undeserving grade (I am getting a degree in a Digital Photography Specialization).
When the professor gives me an answer I am in utter shock and awe, " "You got a "B" because you're always putting make-up on in my class and that is so rude." I think to myself: that is so unfair, considering I don't apply my make-up chanting or giving my less beauty savvy classmates tips.
Worst words after that: "You are an "A" student, you do "A" work but even if you have the best photos and work in the class, you get a "B".
I'll be honest: I have no clue how one thing affects another because they don't. I never compromised the quality of my work with a little bit of corrective make-up application at 9:00am.
As of right now, I'm writing a letter to my teacher apologizing for being a beauty junkie.

6 comments:

  1. That really sucks Nikki. I'm with you in what one thing has to do with the other, but I really don't know how much make-up you were applying during class and how often. I guess that might be distracting to others or even the professor (second guessing this statement). Well kudos and keep up the good work. Enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many variables that the only thing I can rely on is that the professor considers my work as an "A" and I think that says enough about how my grade should be treated.

      Delete
  2. Applying make up shouldn´t interfere with your grade, she could have given you a warning if it was distracting to her, otherwise it just kindergarden behavior on her part!

    estiloandcafe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I could have used a warning but I kept powdering my nose in class and it affected my grade. I'm sorting it out though! Gracias Juliette :)

      Delete
  3. Try your letter of apology first, and if it doesn't work, then go straight to the dean with it, or at least tell your teacher that's what you're doing. If your work was worthy of an "A", that's what your grade should be. Unless they had a very clearly written out rule in their syllabus, that stated paying full attention in class was part of your grade, then they can't just "decide" what grade you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing everything in my power to get my grade to be what it should be! It is very upsetting to be going through this.

      Delete